Tuesday, April 04, 2006

art journal day


so there is something cosmic going on. piskies afoot or some such. strange things have been occurring. gifts being handed to folks who don't know they need them.

i had a play-date with my friend kristi and such things are so good for the soul. making art with, and talking-making-art with other art-making-folks is so new and cool for me. most of my creative work is done in the middle of the night in my little studio all alone with maybe chazz trying to steal buttons or something but that is the extent of my usual level of creative collaboration. and it's not like we were critiquing or getting involved in each other's projects, really, it's just that there is good energy in the air. anyway, the point of the story is that kristi showed me her art journal and said 'i really think you should start one' and i said uh-huh and then today i was having a very cranky day and feeling rage-ish and stifled and messy and purple and i found an old book in my collection of old books and it was called "good morning, young lady" and so i began an art journal and it is so fun. all that messy is good for my soul in a different way than scrapping. this is a new thing, it reminds me of the really intricate notes and doodles my friends and i wrote each other and made for each other when we were in middle school. we folded notes into shapes: squares, triangles. i wrote around the perimeters of pages. made flowers of paragraphs. nad mine were not the most wonderful. i remember: lisa harmon and her handwriting, coils of letters in alternating colors. kristen pufahl's perfect script. it's so odd, what we keep.

here is a page from my art journal. the quote is from a splendid drag queen named Ms. Guy and it says: "I'm not a gay icon in the way Bette Midler is, and I don't necessarily want to be. But if all the Chelsea queens thought I was the shit, that'd be fine too."

i'm feeling old today, and young, and cranky and tired and messy and mousy and i'm making a book about it. tee hee. i love art.

thanks, k. you get a big hug. the chocolate cupcake didn't hurt either :)

4 Comments:

Blogger kristina contes said...

Yay! I'm so stoked for you to start an art journal. they are the shit.

4/06/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle McGee said...

You are so stinkin' cute!

4/07/2006 12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no idea who you are, but i also went to middle school, for a bit, with lisa harmon and kristen pufahl. and lisa shea, did you know her? she had the most amazing handwriting.

9/18/2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn saw your blog. The dinosaur eh.
Good luck with the book
Ryan
www.wayoutart.com

6/19/2007 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home