Sunday, August 24, 2008

a fortnight's holiday up north

tee hee... nearly all my british-isms in one title.

i've always summered on lake winnepesaukee in new hampshire, but this year i tried a week on a different lake, and i was absolutely charmed.  it turns out there are oher nice lakes, besides my own.  who knew?!

lake sunapee rocked my block.  

our house was absolutely adorable.  all knotty pine and windows with a big fireplace and, above it, a light-up landscape painting inn exceedingly opulent frame.  kitsch delish.

the dock out in the backyard, however, was by far my favorite location.  i took to starting my days out there at 6 am, bundled into a hoodie over my bathing suit.  i'd cuddle over a cup of tea and a book while the mist rolled in over the lake.  and by nine or so, the sun would be hot and high and i'd be baking in its glow with whatever various aunts and sisters and sisters' boyfriends would wander down to the
 dock.  watching the young fellas jump off the dock still bleary-eyed from sleep was a perfectly classic moment.  we felt like a painting.  


we had wild blueberries growing in our  backyard.  i ate a perfect red bowl of them with cream.  

this lake fed a different part of me.
  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home