Thursday, September 04, 2008

homesnips






tonight i am feeling grateful. for dear and perceptive and generous friends (especially kristi and jeffrey), 

and for my home, which i have created and which nourishes me. 


if there is one thing my mother has taught me in this world, it is how to create a home.  how to obey my own instincts, surrounding myself with things i love and ending up with a home full of quirky, messy, chaotic beauty.  

i look around my home, and i see curtains my mother made for me, and the watercooler my dad carried up here and the huge, funny fish sculpture/vase my grandma gave me.  i see my books, collected over my whole lifetime, and loved.  utterly loved.  i love being in my home.

and i know there are those who preach against attachment to material things. and maybe it's just that i'm not very enlightened.  

but i love my things. 
my stamps.  
my boxes of projects.  
my file cabinet full of poems i love. 
gifts from friends.  games we play.  
my framed photos, 
my mom's old clothes, 
the statue of Mary 
my grandmother gave me 
when i was small.  

these things remind me 
of who i am, 
who i've been, 

who those i love 
believe me 
to be.  

who i choose to become.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, that's me! slipcovers look great! love!

9/04/2008 2:33 AM  
Blogger Vee said...

love the snippets of your home!!! looks so cozy and awesome! :)

9/09/2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger miss morgan... said...

ohmygosh everything looks so diiferent from when i was there last! this just means i have to make the next buffy night!

9/28/2008 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home